Can I receive credit for this opportunity? If so, how much credit will I receive? +

All of our programs are designed to count for credit towards your university degree. However, it is up to your University to decide whether they will approve credit for your participation in one of our programs. Normally, the course coordinator, convenor, head of school or academic advisor will be the contact to approve the opportunity.

How do I fund this opportunity? +

Australia-based students may be eligible for the Overseas Help Loan (OS-HELP). This is a Government loan of $6,665+ granted to eligible students, but be aware that the amount will be added to your HECS-HELP debt. Some universities offer travel grants to students, and some university startup accelerator programs also offer grants. Please refer to your university’s mobility office website for more information.

Please note that students must have completed a full year of academic study to apply for OS-HELP.

Am I eligible for any scholarships and/or travel grants offered by my University? +

Aside from the OS-HELP loan (discussed above), some universities also offer their students who are participating in the HEX program a travel grant or scholarship towards their overseas study. To find out more, please contact your university mobility office, startup accelerator program or visit our universities page.

Do I have to stay at the provided accommodation or can I book my own? +

The Hacker Exchange (HEX) program costs are inclusive of accommodation. All students undertaking a HEX program are required to stay in the designated program accommodation. This promotes positive group dynamics and, quite frankly, makes the logistics much easier. If you are planning on arriving earlier than the specified dates or after the program finishes, you’re welcome to sort out your own extra nights – or you can let us know and we can provide instructions on how to book extra days at our approved venue.

Do I need travel insurance? +

Absolutely. It is a HEX requirement that you need to be covered by a comprehensive insurance policy. Your university may cover you under their travel insurance policy while you are on the program, so we recommend going to your university’s mobility office website to find out if you are eligible. If your university doesn’t cover you, you will need to purchase a comprehensive travel insurance policy through a reputable provider and let us know the details prior to travel.

Can we meet up with the other students going on the program before we go overseas? +

Most definitely. When you have been accepted (and paid the deposit!) you will be added to the exclusive Hacker Exchange Slack channel, so you can start chatting to the community! We will also host meet ups and online pre-departure sessions prior to the trip.

Do I have to be a University enrolled student to do the program? +

While the Hacker Exchange programs are designed primarily for enrolled undergraduate & postgraduate students, we may accept recent graduates or early-stage (pre-seed) startup founders on a case by case basis.

What does the program cost go towards? +

The Hacker Exchange Program covers shared accommodation, continental breakfast each day, all coursework, speakers, instructor fees, mentor fees, exclusive access to corporates and startups, Hacker Exchange operational cost, co-working space access, educational tours of accelerators and tech companies, some in-country transportation (not including airport pickup/drop-off), a cocktail mixer event with HEX mentors and founders, a welcome dinner, a farewell lunch, and some additional catering throughout the program.

(Repeat after me) The program cost does not include airfares.

Is my deposit or program fee refundable? +

Your deposit is not refundable. However, on the discretion of HEX, it may be transferred to another available HEX program (SF on a case by case basis) if space is available within 6 months, and if notified in writing within the withdrawal period. Please review the Terms and Conditions for further details on the deposit and program fee.

Is there a minimum GPA or unit requirement for the Hacker Exchange programs? +

While the Hacker Exchange does not impose a GPA requirement, your university may require minimum grade and units for participation. Please check with your university study abroad office. You will require a minimum units completed to be eligible for the Australian government OS-HELP loans if you are relying on that.

What happens after I’m accepted? +

You will receive the formal offer via email as well as the deposit invoice. Paying the deposit invoice on time confirms your acceptance. Following payment, you will be provided with a list of next steps. You will also be added to the exclusive Hacker Exchange Slack channel, so you can start chatting to the community! When we receive your final payment, you will receive access to the travel platform for your specific program. We will also host meet ups and online pre-departure sessions prior to the trip.

Does Hacker Exchange arrange my flight? +

We do not. However, we are happy to provide recommendations to preferred suppliers / travel agents who can hook that up for you.

Can I travel before and/or after the program dates? +

Sure thing. You will want to check with your university’s travel insurance to ensure you are covered for private travel.

Can I leave the program a day early? Can I start the program a day late? +

Nope. And nope. Sorry.

What health & safety measures are in place? +

We’ve got your back. Each program will have a critical incidents plan in place. Also,

  • Highly trained, well-educated, well-travelled and passionate staff
  • Formal agreements in place with universities and as such have been approved by these universities as part of a rigorous due diligence process
  • Detailed pre-departure and city guidebooks
  • In-person and online meetups and pre-departure sessions
  • 24/7 support in country support with students provided with team contact numbers prior to departure

Students are requested as a priority to register with Smartraveler (Australia), STEP (USA), etc prior to departure on a program. This allows your country's government to contact students or find them in an emergency – whether it is a natural disaster, civil disturbance or family emergency. It may also be used to pass on other information, such as important travel advice and updates.

Your university will also provide you with their own health & safety policies and procedures, as many use risk management vendors (i.e International SOS, Red24, etc).

Can my friend apply for the program? +

Is your friend curious? Open-minded? A global thinker? Are they ready to work hard and pay it forward? If so, then absolutely. We’d love to meet them.